what to do with my fingers?

This forum is especially helpful if you are a new user. Some of our most informative threads can be found here.
JESUSISKING
Welcome Team SPOM!

what to do with my fingers?

Postby JESUSISKING » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:04 am

What i find is i dont pick deliberatley....my fingers just need to be doing something, so they search my face for any bumps. Im not even aware of it most the time its such an ingraned habit.

So when im bored or not active, like in a car, the damgae is done there. My hands roam around my face or arms without me even noticing it, and when i do, ive been picking a long while.

Now im aware of it, i can't seem to stop cause my fingers need to be doing something...they seem to have a mind of their own.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to stop your evil subconcious fingers from finding their way to your face? a way to keep them busy?
For God so Loved the World that he gave his one and only son, that who ever believes in him shall not perish, but inherit eternal life.

anand -formerly jane

Postby anand -formerly jane » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:31 am

first of all - i think you might want to have a paradigm shift.
if we are indeed made in god's likeness and image... your fingers are not evil.

so try asking the question again.
:P

I could never say
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby I could never say » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:40 am

I wish I knew the answer to that, or the little pimple I had yesterday wouldn't be the full blown scabby sore I have today. Maybe we are just hypersensitive to sight and touch? What might look like a little pimple or flaw, looks like a huge volcano that needs to be dealt with. What feels like nothing...like regula skin to one person, we can feel every little bump that immediately feels like a mountain so we want to pick it off.

Are you super sensitive to smell and sound too? I am.

I don't know. Now that I have finally admitted to all of this, I am intrigued by it.

Inga

Postby Inga » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:55 am

Have you tried gloves? I know you might not be able to when you go out, but maybe just while at home?

Lets see, you could also try...

*silly putty
*knitting
*hand held computer games? I've been playing a crazy amount of tetris myself
*drawing

Um...other things have been mentioned in the past. Can't think of anything else right now though.

Good luck!
We are all made of stars

jessica_tropics
Seasoned SPOM!

hey

Postby jessica_tropics » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:03 am

hey,

Okay so you said your in a car... hmmmm.

Funny my hands are always nonstop when I'm driving, but i'm not sure if you meant as a passenger. At any rate, passenger or driver here are a few ideas....

1. pass or driver....listen to the radio, and we all know the station needs to be changed often because they play some song that we don't like
2. passenger..... some people cant' read in the care but i can.
3. passenger..... start talking to the driver?
4. driver.... tap your hands on the steering wheel
5. driver.... feel with your eyes not your hands
6. driver or passenger...... take a peak at the beautiful world outside your car and let yourself be amazed by the simple things... like a bird flying , or a pretty group of trees, talk to yourself---maybe about other people's driving., etc. Just make sure you stay focused on driving if your driving.....

if your a passenger you can gaze at the worlds' wonders and how everything has life and is changing and you can do it as much as you want if your just the passenger....

i just get so amazed when i'm going somewhere at all the new things i get to see, even if it's the same route all the time there always seems to be something new to see. I am truly in an extremely happy state when I am driving or a passenger ;traveling is really that good for me- i just love it.

yeah cuz when i'm amazed at something or really enjoying myself, my whole body is contented, even my fingers... do what feels good for you and make yourself happy and see if it works maybe. oh yeah and i sing in the car while i tap me hands around....

i hope something here helps
~ Sew in tears Reap in joy ~
~ Know the difference between a skin illnes and a mental illnes ~ Jessica

bebebe
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby bebebe » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:31 pm

My fingers do the walking when I'm on my computer or watching TV. My arms and back have looked a ton better after buying myself a few little stress toys. I have a rubber ball with littler rubber balls inside it which is great to squoosh, a koosh ball, a wiggly weenie...

What my hands look for is texture! (I've come to the conclusion that I pick because it's a self soothing behavior, isn't that hysterical?) So, I hold something soothing and squoosh at it.

I had a recurrence last week, and yesterday, because last week I had a sore throat and felt ill and this week I'm crampy. I got in the mirror and went at my face...but my back and arms still look great!

perfectlyimperfect
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby perfectlyimperfect » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:58 pm

oo geez. ya. i have a little stress ball/star that i'm using right now, actually to stop my left hand from touching my face because i have a scab there that i want to heal.

ooo... i want a koosh ball now!! beckylee, those sound like fun! lol. ya. it's a really hard urge i have to consciencely fight for my arm not to even lean on my face right now because thats when it starts to pick most of the time. it's annoying trying to do homework when half of your mind is trying to focus on another thing...

anand -formerly jane

Postby anand -formerly jane » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:05 pm

JESUSISKING
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby JESUSISKING » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:15 pm

oo some cool ideas! thanx.

By the way my evil finger thing was a sad attempt at humor, i know
For God so Loved the World that he gave his one and only son, that who ever believes in him shall not perish, but inherit eternal life.

yogilunda
Team SPOM! Member

Postby yogilunda » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:43 pm

I bought myself a nice ring a few weeks ago and it is my "twiddle ring". Whenever my hands are bored I move it around and take it off to keep them occupied.

sgirlfab
Team SPOM! Senior Member

Postby sgirlfab » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:08 am

No,No No. Jesus is Lord, but ELVIS is King...

Just kidding.
legs. I pick my legs. and back. and arms. But my legs are really bad.

kristenc
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby kristenc » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:07 pm

I have an iphone, and I installed a bunch of applications to play with to keep my hands busy - Word Warp, Removem, Tangrams, and Jelly Car are all awesomely addicting ways to keep your hands busy. They're great!

neverenough
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby neverenough » Sat May 19, 2012 6:25 am

I like to twiddle my thumbs, and see how fast I can do it without my thumbs touching each other. It's a simple way to keep busy if you have nothing around you.

Avoid watching TV. Completely. If you've got a certain show you want to watch, then watch it! But don't just collapse on the sofa after work and watch hours of mindless TV for no reason. Because mindless is what it makes you, and so your fingers wander while your brain takes a rest.

Cook. You wouldn't want to risk getting pus or blood in your dinner and I don't know a single recipe that only takes one hand. If that doesn't work, try inviting a friend over for dinner and cook it together. You certainly wouldn't pick while they're watching you make their food!

Don't be alone. Everyone needs a bit of alone time, but don't do anything that only needs one hand or none at all. I've managed to find a way of reading a book that only uses one hand to hold it and turn the pages (it's rather ingenious really) and so I've had to stop reading when I'm in my room alone. I knit, play computer games, revise, anything!
But it's unlikely people pick while in a room with other people, so be more social. Get out there and spend time with your friends!

Hide them. Out of sight, out of mind.
I know that wearing tighter clothes stunts the healing process, but it also makes it harder for you to get to your back and chest if they are problem areas.
I don't pick while I'm doing my make up. Hiding the blemishes and making myself beautiful is something I just love to do. Last night, for instance, I got back from an exam, said hello to my flatmates, and spent two hours in front of the mirror. Not picking! I took my time doing my makeup, sang along to all the songs on my playlist, straightened my hair, faffed about with it til it looked acceptable, tried on four different outfits, but kept wandering out of my room to see people during this process.
If I know people are going to be seeing me soon after, I won't pick to avoid the shame of them seeing. And doing something you enjoy (in front of the mirror or not) is a good way for you to fulfill whatever pleasure you get from picking in a different way.

Punish yourself after picking helps. It might not be something to keep your hands busy but boy does it work. Don't do something else destructive, but you could try washing your face with lemon juice or salty water. It stings like anything and it might put you off picking again!

Do any of these help at all?

Epidome
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby Epidome » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:17 pm

I always keep a rubber band on my wrist. That way if my hands start getting restless and starting to pick, I take the rubber band and see what kind of shapes I cane make with it between my fingers.

Hansleighhob
Focus on the NOW

Re:

Postby Hansleighhob » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:28 pm

Bebebe,
Do you know where you got the ball? I also look for texture and am desperate to distract my wondering fingers..

[quote="bebebe"]My fingers do the walking when I'm on my computer or watching TV. My arms and back have looked a ton better after buying myself a few little stress toys. I have a rubber ball with littler rubber balls inside it which is great to squoosh, a koosh ball, a wiggly weenie...

What my hands look for is texture! (I've come to the conclusion that I pick because it's a self soothing behavior, isn't that hysterical?) So, I hold something soothing and squoosh at it.

I had a recurrence last week, and yesterday, because last week I had a sore throat and felt ill and this week I'm crampy. I got in the mirror and went at my face...but my back and arms still look great![/quote]

Pudsy McAndy
Focus on the NOW

Re: what to do with my fingers?

Postby Pudsy McAndy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:39 am

[quote="Hansleighhob"]Bebebe,
Do you know where you got the ball? I also look for texture and am desperate to distract my wondering fingers..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/H20-Recreation ... op?ie=UTF8

I think this is what the ball is. Its literally called a Koosh ball (I didn't realise that was the official name for it). It seems a tad expensive here but I'm probably just being cheap. Sounds like a great idea, might get one for myself actually.

icandothis
Focus on the NOW

Postby icandothis » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:35 pm

I find that even rolling sand between my fingers is a pleasurable texture/sensation that is similar to the process of skin picking. If you're near a beach or can get some sand from a park, try it.

Something I've also tried is to allow myself to touch a zit or bump on my skin - and stay there, WITHOUT picking it, scraping it off or digging at it.
This can take a lot of will power not to impulsively pick it away.

Its almost like, I stay there, become curious about it, feel it still, maybe slightly massage it, and then let it be. I take my hands away, after Ive spent enough time with it - without getting rid of it.

Its almost like, Im making friends with it, getting to know it. And sometimes, it even starts to feel smoother after this process and time.

Its a way to lessen the charge of the zit, and my desire/need/impulse/addiction to remove it.

reas
Focus on the NOW

Postby reas » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:14 pm

I bought a spinner ring a while ago that I think would easily help others. It's basically a ring that has a part of it that you can spin. It comes in various designs and such and it won't be seen as weird or anything. From experience, they do make a noise when spun, but it's not very loud. I think spinner rings could help a lot of people with skin picking because it's a nice accessory that can keep both hands occupied.

Another thing I've seen are stim toys. Basically, they are fidget toys to keep your hands occupied. There are a ton of different kinds out there. Personally, my favorite is the tangle. They may be seen as weird if you go out in public with them, but if it's in more private spaces like at home, sitting in a car, etc. then you won't get weird looks.

Both of these are pretty inexpensive and tend to work well for people. In my experience, they haven't helped a ton, but have probably helped the most out of any other method I have used to stop picking.

lonewolfrissy
Focus on the NOW

Postby lonewolfrissy » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:11 am

I have been trying to stay busy and trying to keep my skin moisturized. If my skin isn't breaking out and dried out, there's nothing to feel for. If retrain myself to take care of my skin, there won't be anything there.

Things I do to try and keep fingers busy: Sewing (Bags, quilts, costuming, etc), cooking/baking, working with friends with massage therapy, coloring, playing with my daughter, staying in sight of my husband...

I'm starting to get back to some old habits as I now believe my picking is not only caused by long term habit brought on by stress and annoyance, but also because of some extra curricular activities. I've been playing lullabies and other similar, peaceful, instrumentals to help unwind my mind. Coloring is current trend for me that seems to help.

ampmorro2001
Focus on the NOW

Postby ampmorro2001 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:51 pm

I am new to this board and it is so comforting to read about the issues that others have-they are exactly what I am feeling/going through. I have always picked-my cuticles, scabs, pimples-you name it. Not surprisingly, my favorite part of gardening is the pruning part-so much like picking! I just recently ordered a spinner ring on the advise of a good friend-seems like a good thing to do with my hands. I also crochet while I'm watching tv, since this is always a distracted time when I pick the most. I touch my face on a constant basis and then if I find any irregularity, I pick it. Seems like part of the solution to breaking the cycle is to stop the sensory feedback by wearing gloves for a while.

NJM
Focus on the NOW

Postby NJM » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:44 pm

What to do with my hands is my biggest problem with picking. It started with biting my nails as a kid. But then I wanted to stop that so my hands would look better. But I just replaced it with pulling my hair, and later picking my zits in high school. Wanting my face to look better, I started picking at the little zits and bumps on my arms and legs. I still do that to some degree because it is not as noticeable (upper legs and butt). But I also pick at my cuticles and pull the skin off my feet. I don't want to do it, but I find it so hard to not do something while I am working at the computer (which I do a lot, since I work at home) or when I am reading. You all are right, it is some kind of self-soothing habit that is so hard to stop. (I was a thumb sucker too as a kid.)

The ideas here are helpful, and I think I'll try some new fidgets. But I also wanted to share one that does work for me sometimes. I fiddle with and knead modeling bees wax. It is meant for kids. But it is something I can do with one hand, and it keeps me from picking at something else. Here is the kind of bees wax I use, but I'm sure you can find it cheaper somewhere else.

https://www.amazon.com/Stockmar-Modelin ... B003H6D7SQ

Return to “Best of S.P.O.M.”