Um, does anyone else pick the bottom of their feet?

This forum is especially helpful if you are a new user. Some of our most informative threads can be found here.
Art Teacher
Welcome Team SPOM!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Um, does anyone else pick the bottom of their feet?

Postby Art Teacher » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:49 pm

I dunno how it started, but I gotta stop! I'm in pain here! Ouch! I wake up in da middle of da night and do it... Now I walk funny...not funny. I think I'm stressed because school started up again, and one of my schools is a new one for me -and I'm on a cart! At my other school, some of my classes have changed... I wear socks and gloves 2 bed, but I take them off cuz I get hot! Band-Aids and anti-bact pain killing ointment help heal, but then I repick once da pain is gone... Well @ least I have one good foot... Help help!

NewDay
Team SPOM! Member

Postby NewDay » Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:56 pm

It sounds so painful. I have never messed with my feet, probably because I'm not likely to get anything out of them (I know, yuck).
May the road rise up to meet you, May the wind be always at your back, May the sunshine warm upon your face, May the rains fall soft upon your fields, And until we meet again, May the Lord hold you in the palm of his hand.

Robyn
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

feet-picking

Postby Robyn » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:22 pm

While I don't personally do it... my ex boyfriend used to peel/pick his feet... he said he would get layers of skin off. I can imagine it'd be painful.

We're here for you... just keep treating them gently

bright_eyes
Team SPOM! Member

Postby bright_eyes » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:25 pm

I used to pick my feet until it was difficult to walk. They are easy to pick because people don't usually see the bottoms of your feet and they are convenient when you are at home. However, I do not pick my feet anymore. This is how I did it.

I wore socks and slippers around the house. Makes it impossible to pick unless you remove them. In bed, think of somthing else and do not pick them. I would put cream on them before bed and that made it harder to pick anyway, even if you try.

Once I could trust myself not to pick in the moment, I would take some nail clipping scissors and cut off the hanging bit and the bits that you would be likely to pick. If you have deep sores apply polysporin (or neosporin depending on where you live) and put on socks. That would speed up healing - that is what I did.

It was basically easy to stop once my sores were almost healed and my hanging bits of skin were cut off. At that point it is easier to tell yourself not to pick so that you don't ruin the smooth skin.

Oh, I can remember the feeling of feel full of sores. It hurt so bad, it felt horrible. If you find yourself picking and pulling on a piece of skin DO NOT KEEP PULLING. Stop yourself and take the clippers and cut if off. That will save you from making yourself bleed. Then focus your attention elsewhere.

Basically, keep distracting yourself when you want to pick. Come onto the site and vent if you want. I know you can do it. If I stopped so can you!!

Heidi
I am not my body... I am my spirit -RLB

Inga

Postby Inga » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:45 am

CALLING URS! She's the main member I know of who picks her feet.

I used to cut my feet, before I developed my other skin picking tendancies. I guess I was about 10? I'd take the little nail scissors, and cut away the hard skin on the heels of my feet. It was so much fun stripping the skin off. At first I don't think I caused much damage, but then I started cutting too deep, and it became really painful to walk. I'd put bandaids on my heels, but even that didn't lessen the pain.

I don't know how I stopped. I guess I just decided one day that the pain wasn't worth it, and I stopped! If only I could 'just stop' with my latest problem! Urgh.
We are all made of stars

future beauty
Team SPOM! Member

consequences...

Postby future beauty » Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:43 pm

I think I've picked at my feet just about forever...but I really remember doing it a lot when I got really serious about dancing, when I was about thirteen. It was about then that I stopped wearing any open toed shoes, and avoiding going barefoot where anyone would see my feet. I ripped off my toenails - not all the way, just the tips that I would otherwise have clipped off - but I think that's what made me vulnerable to the nail fungus that I have now had for years. (Sorry, I hope I'm not grossing anyone out!) Anyway, I've tried so many products to make the ugly stuff go away, and my toes are slowly getting better, but they're still embarrassing and I wish I had never started messing with my feet.
Anyway, having this nasty consequence of picking my feet reminds me - most of the time - not to do it anymore. Save yourself while you can! :?
Good Luck...
FB

PS Have you ever read "Cat's Eye" by Margaret Atwood? The main character, a 12 year old (I think) child, begins peeling the skin off her feet in response to trauma...I shivered in recognition when I read it.

Art Teacher
Welcome Team SPOM!

thanx 4 info and support

Postby Art Teacher » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:05 pm

my hubby's just about ready 2 tie my socks on... i'm anxious 4 some colder weather where socks r constantly a must! it's like i trance out & do it...pick...space out...go on auto pilot... i wanna go roller skating...i wanna walk da dog...but my foot hurts...

ponder_in_lace
Welcome New Member

Postby ponder_in_lace » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:09 pm

art teacher - i couldn't describe it better. i do this too!! i even put socks on the other night while i was watching tv only to look down when i felt pain to realize that i had pulled my sock off and was picking again! i've been limping the past several days because its gotten so bad.

it's hard because i want this website to help so bad but so much of it doesnt apply to foot picking - yeah, i pick my face and upper arms every once in a while, but only when my feet are so (sorry, graphic) sore or bloody that i need something else to do with my hands.

please get in touch with me if this sounds like anyone - i could use someone to relate to as i try to quit. i try to talk about it with my friends, but they think it's so disgusting and don't understand why i can't just stop already. anything will help - words of wisdom, products to stop the pain and prevent infection, comfy shoes that won't cause blisters (as i will just pick them), etc.

i look forward to any replies.
i WILL gain control of this habit!!

peace - erin

Art Teacher
Welcome Team SPOM!

Hey there...we shall overcome!

Postby Art Teacher » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:57 pm

Erin,
So...naughty me. I was doing soooooooo good! I hadn't picked da bottom of my foot for 3 days, and then BAM! Ouch! Boo hoo... I even had painted my toenails as a reminder of "no-no"... But it doesn't help if u don't look @ 'em... So here I go again... I took a pumice stone 2 the rough spots...that really helped... But when the healing parts got nice and rough, guess what? I'm thinking of buying a piece of fake fur 2 feel whenever I feel like picking... I dunno...just something 2 keep my fingers busy... I did start painting my nails again...that's helped a bit 2. But I got 2 my face the other day...I hate that! Now I'm just getting sick of covering the wounds...so I learned my lesson there again! I also every so often have a spot on the inside of my lip that I like 2 chew...do u do that 2? I've started a pc diary where I complain daily...or should I say confess...hopefully this will help 2! So...how u doin'?

FOOTPICKER

GAWD I LOVE TO FOOT PICK

Postby FOOTPICKER » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:38 am

I love pulling skin off my feet. The thicker and wider and longer the better. i use nail clipers to start it. I have used a knife to shave pieces off. Hmmm yummy, then i chew it like gum. Hmmmmmmmm I love it what can I say? when my feet are dry it does not look too bad but if wet they look terrable. The best part about when they are wet is I get more skin and less pain. Hmmmmmmmmmm yummy thats all i can say.

bburgett
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby bburgett » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:38 am

I ocassionally pick the skin off the bottom of my feet too. I don't do it as much as I do with my legs, arms and fingers. I usually start by using nail clippers to get it started. I usually find a tough part to start with and it progresses from there.

Brenda

sanfran3

feet picking

Postby sanfran3 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:24 pm

I thought I was the only person who did this! I feel better knowing I'm not. I've just started this in the last 3 years or so. I only do it at night, usually late. I can't make myself stop. I love it in a sick way. I don't feel stressed so I don't know if it's about that. It feels unhealthy because I have no control over it! Open for help....I'd love to stop this.

anand -formerly jane

Postby anand -formerly jane » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:18 pm

Daina
Welcome Team SPOM!

yes

Postby Daina » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:10 am

well i used to when i was smaller but now i mostly jusp pick my skin on my arms.. its worse.. i dont know with my feet i think i just found something else to pick over time and that was my hands... thats not the way to go.. but i still remember when i was like 5-9 yrs old my parents would tell me to stop and i did. i still do it but not that often and only bacause i have a little bit of skin hanging off or something but i can remember how i used to pick the top bits of skin but sometimes by mistake ide pick off huge bits which would hurt alot and then i guess i just grew out of it or something but now i wish that i found somehting better than picking another part of my body

feet picking

Postby guest » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:00 am

I am 41 and have picked my feet since I was 7. I have now reduced it only to the left foot, and no matter how hard I try I cannot stop. I get to theyucky point where it bleeds etc. I also am a chronic nail biter and for a time I pulled the the hair out of my head leaving a quarter sized bald spot I was 14 when I did that. The teacher at school said if I continued I'd end up like those monks with no hair inthe middle. WHen he said that, I stopped.

But the feet, I cannot stop. I stop for awhile, andthe skin gets all yellow and hard and when it peels, that's when I peel it off and begin picking again. I live inEurope andthis is definitely not a topic over here !

betty

re

Postby betty » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:17 am

whats the matter with simply enjoying it and not trying to stop?

it does not hurt anybody, i enjoy it so i dont want to stop.

there are weirder things out there like fetishes.

look at the link below:

http://www.selfinjuriousskinpicking.com ... highlight=

well time to go watch tv and pick my feet:) bye bye

Inga

Postby Inga » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:10 am

Betty- This site is for people who want to stop their compulsions, so of course you're going to find people talking about...um...wanting to stop! If it's not bothering you, then go for it : )
We are all made of stars

perfectlyimperfect
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby perfectlyimperfect » Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:43 am

o geez... i'm not alone! i was wondering if i was at the right place because it seemed to me that everyone picked at their faces here. i've picked at my feet for ages and i thought it was just some weird quirk of mine!

my heels crack... and all of the dry skin... i can't stand it!!

so...my decision? peel it off. some times it hurts, other times it doesn't. but as long as i get it smooth(er) then to me, it's better.

i've tried lotion and socks and all of that jazz, but it always ends up the same. me not able to sleep, watchin' TV, and pickin at my heels.

the bottom of my feet look so ugly all the time. i want to stop so i don't have to walk in pain anymore, but i always come back to it!

ferngurl
Team SPOM! Member

Postby ferngurl » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:40 pm

I was just wondering, has anyone here tried a callus shaver, it gets rid of the dead skin and your heels are smooth with no more rough edges after using it. It's like a little metal grater, looks like a food gratter u use on food, but it's for the feet, it sloughs off all the dead skin. I used to pick my feet badly too, not anymore, I kind of outgrew it, but sometimes the flaky dry skin on my heels bother me, so I use the callus shaver. U can get it at any drug store with the foot products. Great invention who ever thought of this callus shaver. :D Oh yeah, make sure u use it when your feet are wet.

perfectlyimperfect
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby perfectlyimperfect » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:27 pm

ooo... the callous shaver sounds good... except that a lot of the time i have really sensitive skin on the bottom of my heels from picking at them so much.

I could never say
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby I could never say » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:09 am

Dawn
Team SPOM! Member

Postby Dawn » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:39 am

perfectlyimperfect
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby perfectlyimperfect » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:06 pm

Dawn
Team SPOM! Member

Postby Dawn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:33 am

That's true you can't see them but not being able to walk comfortably has got to be horrible. It might be best to attack the problem on both fronts. You need to stop the habit but you might also have unnaturally dry heels that would feel and look better with some treatment.

perfectlyimperfect
Welcome Team SPOM!

Postby perfectlyimperfect » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:41 pm

ya, i know. i'm trying. i've been wearing socks more that usual lately and been putting lotion on them more than usual.

i'm usually in flip flops, but for the past week, to cut down on those and have been wearing socks and tennies. it's been helping. a lot.

Return to “Best of S.P.O.M.”